[Wine] Re: ipod software

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 9 08:19:32 CDT 2008

kotton wrote:
> i'm new to linux but am an experienced windows user (former ;-) under windows i used a program called Anapod Explorer to manage my ipod nano. it was great. i looked just like windows explorer and all i had to do was drag and drop from folders to my ipod to transfer music. very simple and easy to use. i've looked a few ipod software programs under linux, but nothing comes close to Anapod. i haven't tried to install it in wine yet for fear of stuffing something up with the system. do you think it is safe to try and install programs on linux and wine when they have not been tested? or is that something for more experienced linux users?
> thanks

Just installing a program in Wine as an ordinary user is unlikely to cause problems beyond the program itself simply not working. If you have other Windows programs already installed and running, they could theoretically be affected by a new program installed to the same wineprefix. If that happens, you might have to delete your .wine directory and reinstall your Windows programs in Wine. You can avoid that possibility by installing the program to a separate wineprefix in the first place, but that would have to be done from the command line. If you are mortally afraid of the command line, don't experiment, because troubleshooting problems will inevitably take you there.

Note, however, that I said "as an ordinary user." Never run Wine as root/sudo.