[Wine] How to configure the keyboard ?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+d41d at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 18:53:27 CDT 2008

Wine tries very hard to detect the keyboard settings of your general
Linux environment and use those (and it does not provide a way to
override the autodetection). Normally, the way to configure your
keyboard would be the same way as for other Linux apps.

I'm going to assume that you already have a layout set that is
suitable for typing in French and that, except for this program, Wine
is working ok with it.

This is probably a Wine bug, not something you could easily configure.
I don't think it will be easy to figure out what's going on here.

If you're willing to put in the time, I suggest trying to find out:
* What causes this error message on Windows? If it involves something
that does not exist in Wine, maybe you can fool the program into
thinking it does (or, if necessary, get it implemented).
* Is the program failing to read any interesting registry keys before
it decides your keyboard is misconfigured? You can run Wine with the
WINEDEBUG environment variable set to +reg to see what registry keys
the program is reading.
* Is there any way you can get more information from the program about
what it thinks is misconfigured?

You might also want to consider a virtual machine, as it could be
easier if you have a spare Windows license.

--
Vincent Povirk