[Wine] Re: Winelib: How can I compile a Borland C++ Builder application

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 19 18:03:42 CDT 2008

Néstor Amigo Cairo wrote:
> So I will need to rewrite the application to run on Linux, but this
> sounds strange, doesn't it?? I have not completely understood then the
> purpose of winelib. Do you mean that it is not possible to build an
> application from source (written using Win32 API) using gcc on Linux
> and executing it natively??

Correct. You can't run it directly only with Wine. (binfmt does not count)

You can't just link with winelib and make your app Linux native. Wine implements totally different API that requires an environment to run in. And Wine is that environment.

Few examples:
1. win32 threads and posix threads are totally different things. They can't be mixed or exchanged. Same applies to most synchronization primitives.
2. POSIX does not have anything close to what win32 handle is.
3. File system name space.
4. Registry is totally alien to *nix but it's a must for any windows app (even if it's not using it directly).

None of those things can be magical created by linking to a library.