[Wine] Wine memory limitation for malloc?

Gert van den Berg gert at mohag.net
Tue Jul 22 16:39:36 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM, mikolajz <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> As it was said, on 32-bit Windows, in the default configuration, this flag won't change anything as the high 2GB of address space is reserved for the system (and it's not possible to allocate more memory with malloc than the available address space). It's possible to make 3GB of address space available to the application with the /3gb switch in boot.ini. AFAIR, the 3GB address space is the default on Linux and may be even increased by distributions. On 64-bit Windows and Linux, the whole 4GB of address space will be visible to applicaitons with such a flag.

I wonder if the CONFIG_VMSPLIT* options in the kernel is relevant? I
know Wine complains if they are changed...

Just a note: If I remember correctly Linux x86 can use the full 64GB
supported by PAE, with a smaller per-process limit... (x86_64 supports
a lot more off course...)

> I may also add that this problem is different than the problem addressed by the PAE. The PAE allows to give more than 4GB of physical memory to all the processes in the system. The problem here is how much of the address space is available to a single process.

Windows XP x86 will not use the full 4GB (as a total address space for
all processes) even if PAE is enabled since Service Pack 2...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137