[Wine] Re: Wine memory limitation for malloc?

mikolajz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 23 12:25:04 CDT 2008

It's written in a comment that this 3GB limit is a Windows limit, so maybe it's from the the Win9x memory layout (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q125691/). I don't know why the 3GB would be special in the NT memory layout. I would need to check that but I think we can change this in NT mode. It would be best to take the vmsplit value from the kernel, but I don't know yet how it can be queried at runtime.

> Windows XP x86 will not use the full 4GB (as a total address space for
> all processes) even if PAE is enabled since Service Pack 2...

It's getting a bit off-topis, but AFAIK the PAE was enabled in SP2 only because it is required to use the NX bit (no-execute memory, a.k.a. XD, DEP). To have true PAE support you need to have Windows Server Enterprise (or a 64-bit OS).