[Wine] Native and Builtin dll

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 14:00:58 CDT 2008

Batt212 at Jul 24, 2008 11:39 AM (MST) said about [Wine]  Native and Builtin dll

>I'm studing wine for my thesis but I've an question: if I can use native dll for an application because are there many builtin dll in usr/lib/wine? I understand for system dll like kernel32.dll, user32.dll etc

You can substitute some of the Wine built-in dlls but you may create additional problems.  A well known problem is RichText functionality with the riched20.dll and riched32.dll being incomplete.  You may not substitute the system dll's as this MAY violate the EULA from MA and WILL break Wine.

The best way to test whether or not built-in dll substitution is to place the native dll in the program directory and not /windows/system32 and run Winecfg to add the program and then change the dll from built-in only to native then built-in.

This should also be available on the Wine HQ web site FAQ.

Hope this helps with your thesis.

James McKenzie