[Wine] Re: things I miss in wine

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 4 21:19:59 CDT 2008

Jochen wrote:
> Tlarhices schrieb:
> [...]
>
> > Providing wrappers in the aim to fake the copy protection is also not
> > legal. If a copy protection system is faked by something that is not
> > intended to have this result (partial implementations, bugs, api
> > changes...) and the license is not restricting the use of the copy
> > protection with this kind of systems is legal.
> >

> you speak about license, but most of them are invalid.

You want to try and challenge them in court? I'd like to see that instead of baseless claims.

Jochen wrote:

> > Creating (or trying to) create a 1:1 implementation of the software /
> > driver / kernel layer used by starforce to detect a real cd and
> > having some fake positives and some fake negatives due to errors
> > *might* be seen as legal if it complies with the starforce license
> > and the one of the product using it.
> >

> have you an example of a product with a license forbidding this?

You don't need any license examples here - just pick any copyright. Creating something that matches 1 to 1 to the original called copying. And that you can't do on any copyrighted material.

Besides you missed the part about DMCA which expressly prohibits *any* circumvention of security measures except for research work.