[Wine] Google Sketchup 6.x works, but only with xserver-xgl.

kanalje wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 13 13:11:25 CDT 2008

wine version: 1.0-rc4

- Installing Sketchup works fine with some minor issues.

- Running Sketchup will result in the following error message:

"Sketchup was unable to initialize OpenGL! Please make sure you have installed the correct drivers for your graphics card. Error: ChoosePixelFormat failed",

and after that the application closes down. As mentioned in several of the test results in the AppDB this error can be circumvented by changing the the following registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConfig\Display\HW_OK(0)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\SketchUp6\GLConfig\Display\HW_OK(1)

Depending on wheither you run compiz or metacity this results in two outcomes:

Compiz: Workspace is completely black. Even though I can't see anything drawing seems to work fine because the statusbar updates normally. The menus also work fine and I can import models from 3D Warehouse, open the helpfiles, etc.

Metacity: Exactly the same functionality but instead of a black workspace I get some random distortion.

No matter if I run with or without the registry edit, with metacity or compiz I get the same fixme's in the terminal:

Code:
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_RETRIES: STUB
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglChoosePixelFormatARB unused pfAttribFList
fixme:wgl:ConvertAttribWGLtoGLX unsupported 2007 WGL Attribute
fixme:wgl:ConvertAttribWGLtoGLX unsupported 2028 WGL Attribute
fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB unsupported 2007 WGL Attribute
[...]
fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOptionHelper INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOptionHelper INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub

When I install the xserver-xgl package I get near full functionality (workspace drawn flawlessly), but the system is extrememly slow in general so naturally this affects Sketchup as well. Googling around I have found out that the performance hit I experience with xserver-xgl is expected and that I shouldn't bother with this when using an intel gpu.

Is this a wine problem at all or is it related to something else? If you don't know a solution then maybe you could help me identify the root of the problem.

Thanks for your time.