[Wine] Wine ODBC and unixODBC

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Jun 15 09:36:20 CDT 2008

mkelliott21 wrote:
> Okay,
>
> I have been ask to work on a project at work, that entails putting data inside a Microsoft Access database.  Most of this work is being done at home, so I am setting up my system to be able to use Access through Wine.
>
> I have successfully installed Windows XP Office(thanks CodeWeavers, you guys are the greatest...  yes it is the LinuxDemo, saving my pennies to buy the licenses javascript:emoticon(':)') ), but I just need to know if I am thinking wrong.
>
> I have unixODBC working with a Oracle XE database in Linux.  I just want to make sure that I understand that I can set a DSN in unixODBC and it will read the Access database.  Can I use the drivers in Wine(Microsoft Access (*.mdb) drivers just like I could if I was in a "real" Windows enviroment.

No.  There is no independent driver support in Wine, yet.
> I would much rather use OpenOffice to develop and test (from Linux), and just have the Access database show up as a datasource in OpenOffice.

This is not a Wine problem, is is a LINUX problem.  Linux does not
support mdb (that is Microsoft Database).  There is a project to handle
this.  OpenOffice.org cannot handle Access type databases without this
project being complete.

However, if you want to use OpenOffice.org for Windows, you will have to
install the Jet 4.0 engine to access Microsoft Access type databases.
winetricks is your friend to install this product.

James McKenzie