[Wine] Guild Wars unplayable with wine 1.0rc5

Jochen blackdrag at gmx.org
Tue Jun 17 18:07:25 CDT 2008

Dotan Cohen:
 > 2008/6/16 Zarl <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
 >> After loading, Civilization 4 fails with the error below before
 >> reaching the main menu/actually launching. I've searched the forums an
 >> elsewhere and have not been able to find a solution. I'm currently
 >> running Wine: 1.0-rc5 on Xubuntu 8.04-64 bit. I'm using the 173.14.05
 >> Nvidia drivers, GeForce 8200 integrated graphics.
 >>
 >> If this problem has an obvious cause or solution I missed, I
 >> apologize in advance. However at this point, I just have no idea how to
 >> proceed:
 >
 > Well, the obvious problem is that you are trying to run the game under
 > an OS that it was not designed for :)

isn't that what wine is most attractive for?

 > Here is the developers' contact address:
 > http://www.firaxis.com/support/
 >
 > Tell them that you would like native support for their game under Linux.

I guess you don't see this small circle here... I mean that one:

Linux is not recognize as a platform for games, because gamers do not
use Linux for games. Gamers do not use Linux for games, because there
are not many games.. especially cool ones. They are not many such games
for Linux, because nobody writes them for Linux. And finally nobody
writes them for Linux, because Linux is no gaming platform.

(I am using Linux here not as GNU Linux the kernel, but as a complete
system)

Also very often you get a cheap game from somewhere and of course it is
not the linux version then. I have never seen any linux version, not
even together with a windows version, for sale in any store. But I did
see Mac versions of games together with their windows versions being
sold. I won't say that writing to the developers about doing a linux
version of a game won't help, but I don't see that as an answer to
someone asking how to get a certain game running.

Also I don't think fireaxis will spend developers on a version that is
over 2 years old already and while they work on their next version
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=21

bye Jochen