[Wine] JUST A COUPLE OF NUBBY QUESTIONS BETWEEN ME AND FREEDOM

jpearls wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jun 19 14:38:53 CDT 2008

1. What does ~ mean? cd  ie. "~/.wine/drive_c/"

2. Steam runs.  Hurray.  But I can't chat with friends.  I can see their messages, but not mine.  I assume they never get them because they never say anything more.

3.  I launch TF2, I get the valve logo, source logo, then BAM back to desktop.  No error boxes.  And my screen resolution stays "minimized" to what tf2 was launched at.

I mean try to running the game via terminal and seeing if it will me anything there.

4. I can't get utorrent to launch from links in firefox; everything else about both programs works perfectly.  I've tried three scripts:

#!/bin/sh

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/utorrent
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
var="`echo $1 | sed 's/\//\\\/g'`"
var="Z:${var}"
wine utorrent.exe "$var"
else
wine utorrent.exe
fi

#!/bin/sh
cd ~/
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
var="`echo $1 | sed ’s////g'`"
var="Z:${var}"
wine .utorrent "$var"
else
wine.utorrent
fi

#!/bin/sh
wine /path/to/utorrent.exe "$*"

uTorrent's home: /home/earls/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/utorrent

So?

5. Is there a program or website that will verify you have the latest drivers?  Is that something built into ubuntu?