[Wine] autocad 2008 and wine

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 10:38:19 CDT 2008

2008/6/22 miciomax <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
>> So, you want to use AutoCAD in Linux, but you do not want to ask the
>> developers to write a Linux version.
>
> Let's say that if I have to loose my time, I've got many many more
> interesting ways to do it :-)

Interesting, perhaps, but here you can be productive. Even if _you_
don't need AutoCAD, _I_ need CAD software for Linux. Can I ask you to
do me a favor? Write to Solidworks (the dominant CAD in my country)
and request Linux support:
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/company/contactus.html

Please, for me. The two latest versions do not run on Wine, nor on
codeweavers. Do me a favor and express interest in Solidworks for
Linux, for me. I cannot use an OS in which the applications that I
need for my industry are not available.

>> Even if you prefer the older interface (which, regarding Solidworks, so do I), you do realize that in some years time you will be forced to upgrade to be compatible with
>> you coworkers, no?
>>

> Well, I don't agree 100%. It's true that on last year I started receiving dwgs that my good old 2005 can't open, but they don't use ANY of the new superfancy features of 2006+.
> They're just incompatible because use a different file format. So, I went here ;
> http://www.dwggateway.com/
> And.... problem solved. My old-good-fast 2005 now can open 2008 files, and I'm sure that it'll open version 2256 files too in the future.

That's fine if you only need to read the documents. I need to edit and
share them, as do most other engineers.

>> > IMHO, we've got twice the probability to have an opensource
>> > autrocad-like app in linux than a port of autocad.... Knowing a bit
>> > of MFC/DOTNET/DIRECTX, I'm sure that it'll be by easier by far
>> > to write a cad from scratch than port autocad on linux.
>>
>> That does NOT mean that AutoDesk cannot develop AutoCAD for Linux.
>> Until there exists a real, professional-grade CAD system for Linux
>> that is compatible with what is used in industry today, we must tell
>> the makers of the tools we use that we want to use them on Linux. And
>> we _do_ want to use them on Linux, otherwise Wine would not exist.
>>

> for that wine exists, and does a really great job.

No, Wine does not run the version of the software that I need to work.
I really wish that it did. And I don't want worry each new version
that it will break wine, and I cannot give any excuses why I am
suddenly unable to work. I need Solidworks, and I am chained to
whatever OS runs it.

> In Linux we miss :
> 1) Good dwg-compatible cad (with full 3d support)
> 2) Good HTML WISYWIG editor (something like dreamweaver, I mean)
> 3) Some vertical apps, but on those I think is a good idea to ask sw-houses to port to
> linux, as they don't have a so bread user pool, so it may be rentable for them to port.
> 4) Games. Yes, Linux widespreading must pass thru it. Many young people stay on windows because theyr preferred games don't run on linux.

Do you write to the game developers? Here is a list of addresses:
ArenaNet: http://www.arena.net/contact.php
Ironclad Games: http://www.ironcladgames.com/contact.html
Blizzard Entertainment: http://us.blizzard.com/support/webform-us.xml?gameId=0
Firzxis: http://www.firaxis.com/support/
Electronic Arts: http://www.info.ea.com/company/company_prlist.php

>> I'm all for it. You show me the project, the timeline until there is a
>> useable product that is Solidworks compatible, and I will donate
>> accordingly. What should I use in the meantime?
>>

> wine + autocad ? :-)  that's what I'm doing.

Like said, it doesn't work for the version that I need.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.