[Wine] Re: Numeric Keypad does not work Wine 1.0 + Putty 0.60

Max Rebo wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jun 25 12:14:41 CDT 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/6/25 vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
>
> > Max Rebo wrote:
> >

> > > I have a real need to get the numeric keyboard working under putty.  I want to replace scads of windows installs with linux if I can get this solved.
> > >

> > So what you need putty for? What xterm is not enough?
> >

> Some people like PuTTY a whole lot. (I couldn't work without it on
> Windows.) And it *should* work fine under Wine, after all.
>
> As it happens, there is a Unix version of PuTTY, which is in most
> Linux distros (or can be downloaded and compiled from source). But its
> behaviour is not quite identical to the Windows version.
>

> - d.

My requirement for putty is quite understandable.  Other linux terminal emulators try to be windows desktops with millions of lines and columns when the desktop allows.

I am running a legacy mrp solution that runs in a 24x80 character terminal.  Period.

Putty nicely handles 24 lines by 80 columns,  and keeps this configuration no matter how the window it runs in is resized.  It changes the font size and completely populates the window (if so configured).

Other emulators don't automatically increase the font size but increase the numbers of rows and columns.  If I maximize an exterm window I now have a 24x80 window (this will never change) running in the top left corner of xterm at 80 lines and 200 columns (sic).

The legacy application is also assuming that the terminal is limited to 80 columns and sometimes things "slip" over the 80-column boundary and the data in the 24x80 column area becomes garbled/unusable when run in a terminal that is greater than 80 characters wide.

I have solved all of my other Wine/Putty issues except this one.  I have not been able to get to my attempt to regress to Wine 0.9.32 to see if this fixes my problem.  I intend to get this test done this afternoon and I will report my progress when finished.

TIA for anyone who can show me how to do this with the latest and greatest.  Otherwise I will have to learn how to "lock down" Wine version 0.9.32 so that it will not be updated or changed for any reason.

If there are options that let xterm or another current linux terminal emulator run as I have described (run 24x80 maximized on a 1280x1024 desktop and fully fill the screen with them thar LARGE characters) then please educate me.  I have done some playing around and the results have been discouraging.  I use Konsole all the time for my personal work, but I need putty for my company's application needs.

-and finally- The *nix version of putty has the same problems of other emulators on linux.  In the DOS version there is the option to increase the font size vs increasing the number of rows and columns.  This option is not available on the *nix version of putty.  It only increases the number of rows and columns when the putty window is resized. arg