[Wine] Xrender and OpenGL troubles in Darwine

Arcturus wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jun 28 20:23:21 CDT 2008

Hey all,

I'm very new to Wine, but I was very excited about the potential behind it, so I tried installing the 2.2.3 X11 XQuartz package from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases and kronenberg.org/darwine 's stable 1.0 version of Darwine on my Macbook that is running Leopard 10.5.3.  The installs were easy, but I'm having some difficulty now with actually getting some programs to run.

The sample programs that came with the Darwine seem to run fine with no speed difficutlies or gobbling up system resources, but after being bold and trying to get STEAM installed, I ran into some problems.

My first problem is that this message repeats over and over again in my Wine Log:

fixme:xrender:X11DRV_AlphaBlend Unable to AlphaBlend without Xrender

My second problem is when I try install one of my STEAM games (like Half Life) or watch any of my downloaded media.  A different error message keeps repeating over and over again in my Wine Log:

err:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetProcAddress No libGL on this box - disabling OpenGL support!

This second problem is especially troublesome because I can't even download media from STEAM without this problem, much less any of my games.  After a few minutes of seeming inaction and that message repeating itself a hundred times or so, STEAM quits suddenly, citing the error message:

Error

Steam.exe has exited with an error, have a look at the Log window...

I suspect that these are X11 problems and not Darwine problems, but I thought I would try to get some help wherever I could.  Googling turned up no helpful information, so any bones thrown my way would be really appreciated.

Another potentially unrelated problem I have is that when using Darwine, my system resources tend to be in really disproportionately high use for the programs in action, my processor spiking constantly and my RAM use doubling with little provocation.  If this is the inherent nature of Darwine so far, then please never mind this, but otherwise, I would really appreciate any help I could get with this.

Thanks a lot,

Arcturus