[Wine] X-Windows hangs while playing Tales of Pirates

Marc budalokkos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:52:52 CST 2008

Hi all,

I have been playing the game Tales of Pirates with last patch (both
freely downloadable from http://top1.igg.com/) for a while, and I didn't
experience the troubles explained in AppDB. I play the game without
sound and with minimal graphics.

The problem is that after some time playing, my X hang and I can't even
close session with Ctrl+Alt+Tab or change it with Ctrl+Alt+F1 . It
happens at an unknown moment, something between 1 minute and 30 minutes
after starting the game. My only option is to start an ssh session from
another computer and write down "killall game.exe". This command allows
me to recover the functionality of my system and start again the game.

I have had this problem with compiled versions between 0.9.52 and
0.9.56, and also the Debian 0.9.44 packages and the message I get on the
console (after many fixme messages ) is always:

err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x6e4181c "?" wait timed
out in thread 0028, blocked by 0027, retrying (60 sec)

Other posts in the list made me think this could be related to the
privative ATI driver and the kernel I am using, but I have no other
option to use this driver if I want 3d acceleration.

¿How can I know if it is related to the driver or not?
¿If it is due to the driver, do I have any option to tweak something in
my box in order to solve the problem?

My system is:
-ATI X1600 with fglrx driver version 8.452.1.
-Debian Lenny with KDE.
-Wine 0.9.56 from sources