[Wine] Mailing list <-> forum gateway

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 19:08:17 CST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>  >  > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
>  >  >  <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
>  >  >  >  Mailing list now getting clogged up with beginners questions.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  For me that's it, I'm leaving, and you'll have to find new maintainers for the
>  >  >  >  apps I maintained.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Hmm.  That's two people who are upset by the
>  >  >  increase in newbie questions.
>  >  >
>  >  >  I'm starting to think that perhaps we do need
>  >  >  to map the existing forum to a wine-users-newbies list.
>  >  >  I think that amount of segmentation might in fact
>  >  >  be useful.
>  >  >  - Dan
>  >
>  >  What am I missing here? I have received maybe 10 messages (just a
>  >  guess. Maybe more.) in the last couple of days. It doesn't seem (to me
>  >  anyway) that this is enough to cause anyone heartburn but clearly
>  >  Renaud is upset by this. I receive something in the range of 250-300
>  >  messages a day so I hardly see the increase but there have been a few
>  >  more.
>  >
>  >  Am I not receiving all the messages?
>  >
>  >  Anyway, I wouldn't want app maintainers quiting over something like
>  >  this, nor would I prefer to have newbies be without the help of
>  >  maintainers also. Instead of changing the users list maybe there needs
>  >  to be some sort of maintainers list for folks like Ranaud?
>  >
>  >  I'm perfectly happy with whatever you do but if there are two lists
>  >  let me know how to get signed up for whatever the new one is.
>  >
>  >  Cheers,
>  >  Mark
>  >
>  >

>  I don't think we should be turning away those seeking help...That's
>  the whole point of wine-users/the forum. If you didn't want to help,
>  you shouldn't have signed up for it. Putting a couple warnings/links
>  to the FAQ/etc should help the situation.

Austin,
   Excuse me but I'm neither the one who signed up to help people nor
the one expression concern over higher list volumes. That was Renaud.

   In defense of Renaud's position, I can understand (but don't agree
with) his frustration. Personally I agree with you. I would rather
have a single medium volume list that served the most people possible
rather than segregate things and make it harder for newbies to get
some help.

   And Renaud is free to stop being an app maintainer. I stopped some
time ago when it became clear to me that there was little to no
linkage between what I was hoping to do with the apps and what the
developers were willing to work on. (I.e. - they didn't look at
anything and I all I ever got was requests to verify existing problems
over and over on new revisions of Wine.)

   Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I'll go into hibernation now.

Cheers,
Mark