[Wine] X-Windows hangs while playing Tales of Pirates

Marc budalokkos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 04:54:36 CST 2008

En/na Austin English ha escrit:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Marc <budalokkos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  The problem is that after some time playing, my X hang and I can't even
>>  close session with Ctrl+Alt+Tab or change it with Ctrl+Alt+F1 . It
>>  happens at an unknown moment, something between 1 minute and 30 minutes
>>  after starting the game. My only option is to start an ssh session from
>>  another computer and write down "killall game.exe". This command allows
>>  me to recover the functionality of my system and start again the game.
>>

> Sounds like buggy drivers. You could try the open source/vesa drivers
> and see if you still have problems. Wine by definition as a user
> process can't lockup the system (unless ran as root).

No, I can't:
VESA -> Game needs 3d acceleration
ATI -> Not working for my graphics card
RadeonHD -> I can start the game, but game is totally unplayable.

>>  My system is:
>>  -ATI X1600 with fglrx driver version 8.452.1.
>>  -Debian Lenny with KDE.
>>  -Wine 0.9.56 from sources
>>

> ATI is known for buggy drivers...

So, I can't do anything else than wait for the promising RadeonHD
drivers to get better performance?
The wine log message I wrote on the other email does not give any clue
on what could be happening, other than my buggy binary driver?
(err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x6e4181c "?" wait timed
out in thread 0028, blocked by 0027, retrying (60 sec))