[Wine] Wine & Intel 945 : hangs when switching between X & console

WJM wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 5 08:30:48 CST 2008

Hi All,

I have been running WINE quite contently for the last year & think it is an amazing product!

There is one thing though that is quite bugging and I would like to share to see if others also have this experience and we can maybe fix..

On my laptop (it has an Intel 945 GM video chipset) I'm having problems when using WINE.  Not with WINE itself but more with system stability.

When having run (or running) a WINE application,  as long as I stay in the X session all is fine and there are no issues what so ever.
But when I switch to the console <ALT><F1> , try to shutdown or put the laptop in standby the video freezes and my system locks up.  Green and white lines on the top.

It's taken me some time to see the relation with WINE because it does not always go wrong.
The video problem only happens when I am using or have run some application with WINE. So I'm quite certain the problem is related to the Intel & WINE combination. Also when I don't use WINE related stuff shutdown, reboot and switching to the console goes normally. No hang then...

Also running winecfg often abruptly crashes the current X session and brings me back to the login screen.

I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 which uses the new Intel driver & WINE version 9.56

I do have compiz-fusion enabled but have also disabled it to see if WINE was having trouble with it. But the problems still occur when running a 'normal' desktop without compiz.

Anyone else having this issue?

Cheers,
  Wj