[Wine] noob question :)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:39:57 CST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> wrote:

>  Am 06.03.2008 um 17:59 schrieb Mark Knecht:
>

>  > You can try to run it from the existing Windows partition. It will
>  > work or it won't. No harm trying.
>
>  While this can work for some applications (those few not using the
>  registry), I certainly can't recommend it for newbies. Just a small
>  mistake and a noob mounts the drive as C:, hosing his native Windows
>  installation.
>
>  It's better to just run the installer with Wine.
>

>  Markus

Yeah, good point. I was looking at it from the point of view that he
runs winecfg to create a new installation and then adds his existing
game partition to the mix. you are very correct that if he makes a
mistake like you suggest he could end up quite unhappy.

Best he takes it easy and tries loading it under wine itself, at least for now.

- Mark