[Wine] Installing a program with ies4linux

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 7 21:00:15 CST 2008

rockinup1231 wrote:
> I'm under the assumption that I could use ies4linux to enable html in
> programs if I install the program with them. However, I have no idea
> how to do it. I have downloaded/installed ies4linux already (and
> installed ie6). I'd like to know since the program I am trying to get
> html in (RealOne Player) works fine, but when Gecko tries to load
> html it crashes and burns, and I was hoping this might make a
> difference.
>
> Could someone show me an example of what I would have to do?
> ies4linux is installed to the directory
> /home/justin/ies4linux-2.99.0.1 if that helps any.

I'll start out by asking why not use the Linux version of Real Player?
They are a bit old, but still work for me on Fedora 7 & 8:
https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/index.html

In any case, using a program with ies4linux requires that you set
WINEPREFIX to point to it. Something like:

WINEPREFIX="/home/myname/.ies4linux/ie6"; wine realinstaller.exe

And then run the program similarly, again with the WINEPREFIX setting.