[Wine] What constitutes a good backtrace?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 11:56:37 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  For Dan - one other issue came up so I thought I'd bring it here
>  >  before I did the new Wine build. Please keep in mind that this machine
>  >  is a Gentoo 64-bit machine and Wine, compiled as a 32-bit app, is
>  >  running over the top some 32-bit emulation libraries.
>
>  Not emulation libraries.  They're plain old 32 bit libraries.
>
>  Building 32 bit wine on a 64 bit system is annoying.
>  I wouldn't bother unless you're quite motivated.

It wasn't any problem to build. make && make depend and it was done.
That said I'm not sure of it's usefulness just yet.

>  > Those libraries,
>  >  as compiled, aren't going to provide any backtrace data. Will this
>  >  make any difference or is all we are concerned with is how Wine is
>  >  working internally?
>
>  No problem.  We don't need symbols there.
>
>  Why is it that people run 64 bit operating systems on their
>  desktops?  99% of them would be happier with 32 bit OS's.
>  Shrug.
>  - Dan

Actually, if you were to search out all the times I gave an answer to
someone on the audio lists about should they build 32-bit or 64-bit
you will find that I'm 100% in the 32-bit camp.

So, how come this machine is 64-bit? Well, it goes like this. I bought
this machine 3 1/2 years ago. I had two Fedora 32-bit machines at the
time, one desktop and one laptop. I got an offer I couldn't refuse on
the laptop and sold it. My son then needed a machine for school so he
got my old slow desktop. I was left with the (then) fast 3GHz 64-bit
machine that started as an experiment really. It has a 32-bit chroot
(out of date now) which I wanted to make bootable but never got it
working. If I could then I wouldn't run 64-bit myself. Far too many
problems with web media in M$ formats.

Wonder why I forgot about this bug in the first place? For a couple of
years I didn't even think it was worth the effort to run Wine on the
64-bit machine. I figured it wouldn't work. (I'm still not.) I quit
and the last bugs I filed were back in 2005 I think, at least on this
machine.

Wonder why I'm back? Don't know really. Something came up on some
audio list about folks on 64-bit Linux running Wine to use some audio
programs so I figured (right or wrong) that it might be better now to
give Wine a try. However if you think this is pointless let me know
and I'll stop. As far as I can tell Wine works the same for me on this
machine as our other 32-bit Gentoo machines. I don't see any
difference in how well the programs I'd like to run, mostly games,
actually work.

Really the only issue here, for me, is can I help by giving some good
data. If it helps, then great. Mostly I don't want it to be a bother
to anyone, either on this list or the Wine developers. I'd just like
my time to be as useful as it can and if the games ever get fixed all
the better.

Hope that explains,
Mark