[Wine] wine don't handle hard coded resolutions & refresh rates?

Nate Homier nate at livinginthesky.org
Sat Mar 8 13:57:44 CST 2008

I'm trying to play Silent Hunter 3 using 0.9.57.  I get my wine from the
wine Ubuntu repository and I use Ubuntu 7.10.  Silent Hunter 3 uses a
hard coded resolution and refresh rate of 1024x768x32bit at 50Hz.  But I
have an 1680x1050x24bit at 60Hz monitor.  I use the nvidia-glx-new version
100.14.19+2.6.22.4-14.10.  There is a patch available from the Silent
Hunter 3 page, but it is for source code and I don't want to go that
route.  Also it seems to me to be an improper route to go, a single
patch just for a specific game.  I would like to see wine deal better
with hard coded windows crap in general rather than patches for a
specific game.  I really like this game allot and if you can help me get
it going that would be great.  But please no patches for me, just send
them upstream.  I have included 1 log message based on this command.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/nate/.silenthunter" WINEDEBUG=trace+x11settings
wine "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\sh3.exe"
2>/home/nate/silenthunter.log

Email breaks last line.