[Wine] Re: question about WINEPREFIX

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 9 00:13:58 CST 2008

Phobos wrote:
> I know... after all your comment, it seems like they are not really apples, oranges and bananas, do they? :P

It seems you still don't get it. Scroll up and read again what each does.

Phobos wrote:
> another question, if it is finally done, could there be a way to make those portable WINEPREFIXes run in windows too?

No no no. You not getting the whole concept. WINEPREFIX is for Wine ONLY. It has no meaning nor will it even have a meaning on windows!

Wine is to run windows applications. Because windows applications need some windows environment - Wine has WINEPREFIX to simulate that environment. The major two parts of it are a) c: drive structure (files, directories) b) registry. Neither interchangeable with windows.