[Wine] What constitutes a good backtrace?

Geoff Streeter geoff at dyalog.com
Mon Mar 10 04:48:07 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  For Dan - one other issue came up so I thought I'd bring it here
>>  before I did the new Wine build. Please keep in mind that this machine
>>  is a Gentoo 64-bit machine and Wine, compiled as a 32-bit app, is
>>  running over the top some 32-bit emulation libraries.
>>

> Not emulation libraries.  They're plain old 32 bit libraries.
>
> Building 32 bit wine on a 64 bit system is annoying.
> I wouldn't bother unless you're quite motivated.
>

>> Those libraries,
>>  as compiled, aren't going to provide any backtrace data. Will this
>>  make any difference or is all we are concerned with is how Wine is
>>  working internally?
>>

> No problem.  We don't need symbols there.
>
> Why is it that people run 64 bit operating systems on their
> desktops?  99% of them would be happier with 32 bit OS's.
> Shrug.
> - Dan

Funny, my view is the exact opposite. I first used 64 bit on a Dec Alpha
in about 1993. I have been wondering ever since why anybody would want
to cling to 32 bit. Recently I have been puzzled as to why anybody would
want to run a 32 bit opsys on 64 bit hardware. I think they just sense a
lack of commitment from Microsoft. Incidentally, I heard that Microsoft
had a 64 bit version of NT (an early one 3.1 or 3.5) for the Dec Alpha
but never released it. They released a 32 bit version for the Alpha - so
everybody ran Tru64 unix instead. The attraction of 64 bit is address
space more than large physical memory. If you are mapping large files
the address space issue is significant. A windows 32 bit application can
get about 1.5GB of usable address space in an application and it is not
enough. I had better declare my bias; I implement an APL interpreter. A
significant number of my users are bouncing off address space
restrictions and are being held back because their users are constrained
to use 32 bit windows as a platform.

Geoff Streeter

Geoff Streeter