[Wine] how to override dll

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 10 09:58:49 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:48 AM, bill lam <cbill.lam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
>  > Aw, the safest way is to blow away the .wine directory
>  > and reinstall your apps.   That's what I do.
>
>  What will the effect if the fake dll is overwritten but then I set the dll other
>  than native or remove it from library override tab in winecfg?

The builtin DLL is usually used in that case, as you would expect.
There are two details that can interfere:
1) if the Wine DLL is written to defer to the Windows one,
then the only way to avoid using the Wine one is to delete
the Windows one.  (And then some apps that expect a file
there will miss the fake one Wine used to have before you
overwrote it.)
2) If the Wine DLL had an sxs manifest, you'll need to restore
that.  The only one this happens for now is comctl32.
- Dan