[Wine] wine error causing reboot

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Mon Mar 10 11:42:05 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:30:50AM -0500, socphoenix wrote:
> I recently installed wine onto my system, and have been trying to use it,
> but it causes the computer to reboot.  The terminal tells me that it didn't
> load "MOZILLA  HTM" correctly, and then flashes something quickly about
> rendering being unable to do something, it doesn't give me time to read
> it before it sends me back to the login screen.  I'm afraid I don't know
> too much specifics about my system right now, as I am on a Windows
> partition (I want to use Wine so I can stop using Windows).  If anyone
> needs more information I will be happy to add it.

There are two conflicting bits of information here:
1) "it causes the computer to reboot."
2) "before it sends me back to the login screen"

So are you just getting sent back to the login screen after a second or
two of a blank screen or is your system actually reseting and going
through the boot sequence exactly the same as when you power on (i.e.
POST -> grub -> boot splash)?

They are two very different senarios, 1) describes a system crash, where
as 2) describes a X server crashing and restarting.

If you could confirm which it is, it'll make it easier for someone to
suggest what to try next.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."