[Wine] World Of Warcraft perfomance problem.

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Mon Mar 10 14:46:38 CDT 2008

Soccus wrote:

>one funny thing. Last week I have installed a WoW to my friend on his
 >OLD computer (128 ram, older graphic card than mine and about 900mhz
 >processor) His Windows XP is running pretty unstable, but his WoW have
 > about 30-40 fps. Rotlf. Game cuts only in capital cities.

If his older graphics card has more memory or better drivers that could
make a big difference. We just replaced a Nvidia 7950 with an 8500
because it was supposed to be an upgrade. Took less than ten minutes to
decide to go back to the older card because it did a much better job.

I'm not sure if anything other than numbers of users logged in at once
would make a difference between private and regular WoW servers. I'm on
the regular servers in Ubuntu Dapper, Wine 0.9.57, 1g RAM, Nvidia 7600gs
(256mb). Frame rates are 50-65 regular, 20-30 in major cities, in game
video settings are at about half except draw-in distance settings at
about three-quarters. I do not strip anything out of X and usually have
at least three things running in the background (Ventrilo/Teamspeak,
Firefox, Thunderbird).

Tricia