[Wine] problems with running dns9

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 11 12:01:21 CDT 2008

Did you check the version of wine?
wine --version
You should be running wine-0.9.57
Some of the earlier ones have funny quirks, including needing docbj.dll.
If upgrading the wine version, removing the wine config file
sudo rm -rf .wine
and re-installing the program from scratch does not work (it should) then remove the wine config file AGAIN and start over using the old instructions exactly as written.

1. rm -rf ~/.wine
2. wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe
3. when the installer prompts for the 2nd disc, go
to another window and run "wine eject", then insert disc,
wait for it to mount, and click 'retry'.
At very end, you'll need to hit ^C (see below)
4. rm .wine/dosdevices/z:
5. download word 97 viewer from
www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,6314-order,1-page,1-c,wordprocessing/description.html
rename it, copy it to .wine/drive_c, and install it.
6. ln -s / .wine/dosdevices/z:
7. wget  kegel.com/wine/winetricks
sh winetricks fakeie6 gdiplus dcom98
8. finally, click on the desktop icon to run the program.

You shouldn't need docbj.dll at all.