[Wine] Relocating WINE prefix

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 12 12:50:15 CDT 2008

Falcata wrote:
> On my system, I have the wine prefix installed in the default
> location (/home/username/.wine).  However, I goofed when I was
> installing linux, and my home partition is very small compared to the
> root partition.  I tried repartitioning it with a livecd, but it said
> that the volume was "locked" or something like that.  Anyways, I only
> have about 2 gigs of space left on my home partition, and I need 3
> gigs of space so that I can install Fable.  How do I move the WINE
> prefix to a different location, such as /opt/wine?

While you can do this with the Wine prefix, I generally find the easier
thing to do is leave .wine in ~, and just change the symbolic link in
~/.wine/dosdevices to point to a different location for the C: drive. I
like to create a directory /c at the root level and change the
permissions on it to match the user permissions for me.

Not only does that keep most of the stuff out of my home directory, but
I can also execute programs easily with a minimal amount of typing be
using the shell path/filename completion. For example, I can type:
wine /c/P<tab>R<tab>
which gets expanded out to
wine /c/Program\ Files/Riven/