[Wine] HOW TO START WINE

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:55:02 CDT 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 3/13/08, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 March 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >  > Johnnie, ideally, you can just doubleclick on your app's
> >  > setup.exe just as you would in windows.  (Or at least right
> >  > click "run with wine"). Give it a try.
> >
> > Dan, I was under the impression that that technique was heavily
> > frowned upon by the wine devs and were trying to get distro
> > packagers to knock it off?
>
> Nope.  It's what users expect, so it ought to work.  Where
> did you hear it was deprecated?
> - Dan

Here:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-fb882e4837335c61f88ad3d7c37503c483bb9aaf

Perhaps not deprecated, just discouraged. It's an interesting question
though - you probably don't want the user to double click an installed
app in .wine/drive_c/Program Files - there should be a .desktop for
that. But you probably DO want exactly that to happen if the .exe is an
installer on an install CD.

How to tell them apart?

--
Alan McKinnon