[Wine] How to know which env vars a software wants

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 14 12:03:32 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM, xekhz <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  Im trying to install an aplication and for some reason ir says.
>  "Cannot get enviorment variables"
>  I spoke with the developer and he told me that it is because i dont have microsoft DAC installed.
>  I installed it and the problem persists.
>  I need to know how to see which ENV vars the software wants in order to create them.
>
>  It is not a wine problem because I get the same error instaling in a XP Home edition

What Windows version does the app install on properly?

Figuring out why an installer is unhappy is a bit of an art.
Mostly, we use log files to do that.  So, for example,
get the installer to fail
  WINEDEBUG=+text,+file,+reg,+relay wine setup.exe > /tmp/log.txt 2>&1
Then look at the log file, search for the error message, and
then read backwards and try to guess which failed call might
have triggered the error.  It's not always easy!
- Dan