[Wine] Error with GTA on one box, not on another

Colin Pitrat colin.pitrat at free.fr
Sat Mar 15 06:26:37 CDT 2008

Hello,

Running GTA (the first one, freely available on Rockstar site ->
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html) on my laptop, I have no
problem in fullscreen.

However, on my desktop computer, where I tried to run GTA from freevo, I got
the error message "Error 296.473 - Cannot find the default display mode". A
strings on executable showed me that it is a message from the game itself,
not from wine. I'm not the only one to have this problem, as this message is
referenced in AppDB
(http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=563).

The desktop and laptop installations are nearly the same: Archlinux
up-to-date, wine 0.9.56 with default settings. I modified the xorg.conf so
that they would be as identical as possible (only graphic card is different,
and touchpad is configured on the laptop).

I ran the game as follow:
WINEDEBUG=+xrandr,+x11settings,+x11drv,+ddraw,+d3d,+ddraw_geom,+graphics,+win,
+win32,+xrender wine Grand\ Theft\ Auto.exe > gta.log 2>&1
on both computers and diff the resulting file. There are a lot of differences
(video modes and so on), but some seems importants to me:

Following messages are only on laptop side (where it works):
trace:ddraw:DllMain appname = [Grand Theft Auto.exe\Direct3D]
trace:win:GetDesktopWindow started explorer pid 0014 tid 0015

There is a call to DirectDrawCreate on both sides that are corresponding, the
one on the laptop side being just before the call to GetDesktopWindow.

Can it be the call to DirectDrawCreate that fails ? Does anybody know if there
is a system setting or a wine setting that could influence it ? Or is it only
a hardware difference ?

Any ideas to investigate more ?

Regards,
Colin