[Wine] Starting WINE

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Mon Mar 17 06:06:48 CDT 2008

sgtbob wrote:
> I have RTFM but it is limited on offering help when a problem crops up for a noob who is not a programmer.
>
> I DL and installed the WINE program  on my Ubuntu 7.10 and can see it on the Applications.  Selecting 'Configure Wine' brings up the 'grey' screen but nothing I do to it seems to function.
>
> I opened the terminal and typed 'winecfg' and stuff happens like: 'bob at XPS:~$ winecfg
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
> ad nauseum
> '
>
> So, to paraphrase a disgruntled individual when asked this question replied that I should RTFM, well how do I proceed with the F setup?  :-)
>
> No matter which version of Windows I selected from Vista to the oldest one, nothing happens.  Where am I going wrong? and is there a noob manual that gets to the nitty-gritty of its operation? The user manual is pretty vague on some issues that would help if explained more in detail so's us dummies could understand.

Do the following:

rm -rf ~/.wine
wine notepad
And then try to run winecfg

It appears that your user's .wine folder is corrupt.

Also, make sure your user and write to the $HOME directory and that you
never run Wine as root using sudo (it does bad things like not allowing
your user to write to the directory structure.)

James