[Wine] AutoWikiBrowser (.NET 2.0 app) with mono 1.9

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:41:49 CDT 2008

> In the case of AWB:
>  (a) I do want it working now
>  (b) I do want to try AWB with new versions of Wine/Mono to see if it
>  works without winetricks
>  (c) I have other Windows apps installed in Wine and don't want to wipe
>  .wine to achieve (b). Is there an easy way to go back to using Wine
>  gdiplus rather than MS gdiplus?

Being impatient, I created a new WINEPREFIX to test it in. Installed
Mono from the 60MB download I'd already fetched. Installed Gecko by
doing "wine iexplore". Got gdiplus with winetricks. This happened when
I tried to run it:

fun at heidi:~/.wine-awb/drive_c/Program Files/AWB$ ./AutoWikiBrowser.exe
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x61e2f0,0x00000000), stub!

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception
was thrown by the type initializer for
System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.ArgumentException: The
requested FontFamily could not be found [GDI+ status:
FontFamilyNotFound]
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000]
  at System.Drawing.FontFamily..ctor (GenericFontFamilies
genericFamily) [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check)
System.Drawing.FontFamily:.ctor
(System.Drawing.Text.GenericFontFamilies)
  at System.Drawing.FontFamily.get_GenericSansSerif () [0x00000]
  at System.Drawing.Font.CreateFont (System.String familyName, Single
emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte charSet, Boolean
isVertical) [0x00000]
  at System.Drawing.Font..ctor (System.String familyName, Single
emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte charSet, Boolean
isVertical) [0x00000]
  at System.Drawing.Font..ctor (System.String familyName, Single
emSize, System.String systemName) [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.Font:.ctor
(string,single,string)
  at System.Drawing.SystemFonts.get_DefaultFont () [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Theme..ctor () [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic..ctor () [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine..cctor () [0x00000] --- End of
inner exception stack trace ---

  at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined
() [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
  at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () [0x00000]

Tried winetricks corefonts, same thing happened. Tried winetricks
tahoma, same thing happened. Tried winetricks allfonts, same thing
happened.

So - that looks like a .NET backtrace. (Actually it looks like a Java
backtrace, which is why I say it looks like a .NET backtrace.) But it
mentions gdiplus a lot. Is this a defective implementation of gdiplus
in Wine, in Mono, in the MS native DLL or is it something else in
Mono?

- d.