[Wine] Re: Needs an administrator user to install

Antonio López wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 19 04:58:03 CDT 2008

> Don't use Wine what you can get native Linux program. Period.

If you are living in the real world you should know though that's the ideal thing, it is not always that easy: for example, take Neverwinter Nights for Linux (incomplete: lacks cinematics and some other issues regarding speed, etc.) and compare it to the Windows version running in Wine (smooth, works like a charm).

I know (and I'm now talking about "serious" software) it is a matter of pressing the companies to invest more efforts on Linux version development (this can be done in the meanwhile) but from the point of view of productivity, I cannot just sit down and wait for these things to happen, I need this tool running in Linux in short term and Wine might give users this opportunity.

Also I suppose there is an added value for the developers to improve Wine even if there is a fully operational and easy-to-install Linux version.

> If you don't know what to do with rpms then you should ask your distro

I do know what to do with rpms in Debian-based distros (there is a converter named Alien) but again is not that simple: the tool is splitted in several rpms, scripts, libraries, config files, etc. that makes difficult to perform a consistent conversion, at least for me (not an expert but also not a noob). Maybe the developers couldn't, or didn't want, to generate a single rpm. Again: productivity, productivity, productivity...

> change that distro to one that is supported by the program you want to run.

Obviously if I will do that I'll end up having almost one distro per program. :-). If I want to deploy a number of Linux boxes I should try to keep them most consistent in terms of distros. Ubuntu/Linux Mint is easy to use for most desktop users and they are already enough confused migrating from Windows to Linux to sum up one more degree of confusion having several distros.

I hope this made clear my point of view and circumstances.

Regards and thank you for your advice.