[Wine] Re: How to Install WINE on Slackware 12

Plamen.Vassilev wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 19 13:25:36 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> <jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com> wrote:
>
> > You are going to read this again and again but here goes.
> >
> > NEVER RUN WINE AS ROOT.  You leave your system open to viruses (which is
> > one reason to switch to Linux in the first place) and if something bad
> > were to happen, your entire system may be damaged...
> >

> We're saying this so many times a day ... time to automate the
> warning.  I'll send a patch.

I am sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but just out of curiosity, Dan, what you think is the preferred behaviour when wine gets started by root? Should wine just print warning and then run, or probably it should die unless there is a special option on the command line like --yeah-I-know-I-am-root or --allow-root or something like that. Most users are running their applications via desktop/menu shortcuts so they won't see the warning (that's if they are running their graphic environment as root too). Maybe it should print a warning, then die. The warning should inform the user about the risks involved in running wine as root, and if they absolutely need to run wine as root then they should consult the documentation (where this option will be mentioned). If the warning itself contains option then it's almost guaranteed that the user will just set it and run wine again. On the other hand this is too restrictive... What do you think?

regards
Plamen