[Wine] Wine

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Thu Mar 20 03:11:45 CDT 2008

fOn Thursday March 20 2008 06:36:17 Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 10:57:54 pm L. Rahyen wrote:

> > > While we're at it, for the benefit of list users, could we get the
> > > forum to put a real address in the From: instead of a nonfunctional
> > > boilerplate?
> >
> > 	No, e-mail address shouldn't be revealed to the public (and spam
> > robots). And if user wants his/her contacts published in the forum he/she
> > can register there and fill in corresponding fields and then continue to
> > write to mailing list (instead of forum). If user don't want his/her
> > e-mail to be revealed in the forum (or somewhere else) then this
> > shouldn't happened. Of course it is possible to modify e-mail somehow to
> > prevent spam robots from collecting the address so easily but protected
> > e-mail and true e-mail are different things (as I said above, true e-mail
> > address never should be revealed to the public).
>
> Address munging is considered harmful.  It's the postmaster's
> responsibility not to accept spam in the first place.
> http://www.interhack.net/pubs/munging-harmful/

	I disagree with this article. I lost enough mail addresses in the past when
tried to use them "as is" without paying attention on how well they munged in
the archives or public web-pages; when I started to use my new address only in
limited number of "trusted" public places (and always check how well it is
munged in these "trusted" public places) the problem was "magically" solved.
	To me it seems that author of that article simply don't imagine what does it
mean to receive dozens/hundreds of spam messages per day. And there is no
alternative solution(s) of any kind in the article, really. Author just
dislikes something (address munging), blame spammers and some users and
that's all.