[Wine] Re: Starting WINE

sgtbob wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 20 04:55:05 CDT 2008

OK after many hours of trial and error, here is what I believe all of the responders have been trying to tell me (guess I am just slow, but at age 75, one should expect this...(':P')

1. RTFM - this I have done and believe me, there is a limited amount of info in it;

2.  After installing wine, I selected 'applications' --> 'wine' --> 'Brouse C:\ Drive --> selected the CD Rom drive --> clicked on the '.exe' program and then the Legacy genealogy program was installed.;

3. The foregoing process placed an icon on the desktop of the program.  Double clicking on it opened the program;

4. I am interested in genealogy and tried to install Legacy 6.0 file, only to learn in appsdb.winehq. that it was classified as 'garbage'.  It is a great program, but evidently isn't compatible with Wine.  I kept getting error messages;

5.  I then tried PAF, a LDS genealogy program.  This one worked, but the data has some awkward capitalization in the middle of names in one feature. i.e., Smithsonian would show up as 'SMitH On IAn' and not as one would hope.  All reports from the program worked as it did in Windows, so it may be a compromise.

6.  Other .exe packages I tried were somewhat similar.

S0 - It appears that the Windows programs, while operating through the Wine feature, requires the package to be 'loaded' into my Ubuntu Linux, generally duplicating the programs and the data from my Windows system, with the icons loaded onto the desktop. This is a bit awkward, but appears workable to permit me to continue with Ubuntu.  It took a while for this to sink into my hard head  [Embarassed] , but with a couple of programs up and running, I seem to be making progress.

I appreciate all the folks who helped get me this far. Thanks again and I'll keep trying various programs.

Does anyone have any opinions on 'CrossOver'?  It was a program I ran across while viewing 'Franks Corner'. Is it any better - worse - about the same?

Bob [Rolling Eyes]