[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:59:13 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
> On Friday March 21 2008 17:02:33 Mark Knecht wrote:
>  > As an alternative, decouple the forum and the list and get helpful folks to
>  > pay attention to the forums.
>
>         Main point of creating ML <-> forum link was to not fragment user base and
>  allow people who don't like forums (and want to use ML) but can (and want)
>  to help to the users. Personally I don't like forums very much (however I can
>  use them if necessary but without ML <-> forum link it would simply be
>  impractical for me to read so much messages per day) but I understand why
>  some other people like them.
>

>  > Personally I'd prefer the list not be split.
>
>         +1. And I want to say that I don't see any problem actually. This list exist
>  for helping users. For advanced users who's questions aren't suitable for
>  wine-users we already have separate list - wine-devel. So for people who want
>  to ask/answer advanced questions wine-devel is best place.

+1.  Anyone claiming that wine-users hasn't been filled with newbie
questions before the linkup hasn't been on the list for very long.  In
the wine community, you either know how to use Wine or you don't.
Those that don't know ask for help on wine-users.  Those that do know
how to use Wine submit bug reports for non-working apps.  Adding
another list completely defeats the purpose of linking the ML and
forum.  We added the link to reduce fragmentation, and that has
happened.  We're reaching out to a user base that formerly had no
connection with experienced wine users.  For those considering adding
a newbies list, keep in mind that the few have shouted above the many,
and some of those shouters have said they aren't willing to help the
newbies in any circumstance.  We've provided an alternative solution
for those that can't handle dealing with new users.  They can, and
some have, removed themselves from wine-users.  They can also easily
filter the wine-forum messages.  With that being said, please
reconsider adding yet another ML.

--
James Hawkins