[Wine] Starcraft - Gives me no visual output

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 13:32:55 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:40 AM, pogoyoyo <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> starcraft is a game ive enjoyed for a long time and last time i played it was on windows. now im trying it on ubuntu feisty, with wine installed. starcraft installed amazingly fast, but when i started it up, its as if the computer was giving no visual output, and the monitor itself gave me an error message. basicly i could still hear the starcraft music in the background, but i couldnt see a thing. the only way to get out of this was to restart my computer manually :/
>  is there a way to fix this graphics problem?

Hi,
   OK, I got around to testing this problem this morning. I had
exactly the same issue when I started. StartCraft installed correctly
but when I started it I got sound and no video. The problem, in my
case, wasn't Wine but rather my X configuration. Once I fixed that
StarCraft worked perfectly on Wine-0.9.57.

   In my case I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 172s. My xorg.conf file
had 'reasonable' values for horizontal and vertical sync, but not the
'exact' right values. I was 'close', but not perfect, at least
according to my monitor's manual.

   I changed my xorg.conf file to use the exact values in the manual
and restarted X. StarCraft then started and ran perfectly.

   I do not think there is any problem with Wine-0.9.57 runing StarCraft.

Cheers,
Mark