[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 00:23:04 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM, oiaohm <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  > wine-newbies could be taken as insulting by some people.
>
>  Context is important.  I think we could phrase the group description
>  well enough so nobody takes the name as an insult.  For instance:
>
>  wine-newbies: For people new to life without Windows, or those who
>  want to help them.
>  wine-users: For people who have already run an app or two successfully in Wine

Besides filing bug reports for apps that don't work, what types of
messages would be in wine-users under this scheme?  Wine is relatively
simple enough that, once you figure out how to run it, there's not
much left to figure out for the average user.  If we do create this
new mailing list, which I seriously hope we don't, you're going to
find the traffic in wine-users drop to close to nil, and the ones that
do post to wine-users will just be told to file a bug report.  The
point is that wine-users always was the place for newbies to post, we
just never had as many newbies as we're getting these days.  The
problem is the frustration of those in the Wine community towards
newbies; a wine-newbies ML is the wrong solution.

--
James Hawkins