[Wine] Re: Alexandre says "let the newbies run as root"

Timeout wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 24 05:47:59 CDT 2008

Now next question about Viruses:

You are starting from the point that I will get viruses.
Just by using Trados, an off line tool which is at the most checking another instance of a network because of licensing.

How are you assuming that I could get that virus. You can stop altogether working on the BITS or on auto-updates on software.

Can't you simply start by not allowing uncontrolled connexions to the Internet (like adding an offline-modus in winecfg instead on blocking the root)?
The virus I got on Windows was per auto-upload, even with 2 firewalls, a router and an antivirus.
The concerned software was refusing to open without being able to check the license online, thus one had to allow it. Someday it autoupdated with a virus.

Don't you think the first concern would be no automatic download of executables? I don't think getting an answer about a license is an executable.