[Wine] adding winehq to apt repository

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Tue Mar 25 00:29:18 CDT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 08:36:08 pm donald.daniel wrote:
> The instructions use the character O or is it 0, you cannot tell by looking
> at the screen or a printout.

Sure you can.  The letter "O" is fatter and rounder than the number "0" which
is more egg-shaped in almost every font that doesn't make the number "0"
collide with the letter "Ø".

> Another ambiguity is the command (s?):
>
> sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated..........
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
>
> Is this one long command continued on two lines, or is it two commands?

That would be one command that continued on two lines.

If the line break in the command was intentional and not the result of a
presentation error, the last character of each line of a multi-line command
will be "\" (and you can probably copy and paste it as multiple lines).  If
not, well, something plain got line-wrapped weirdly.

> I am not in the sudo list on my stock debian/etch installation, and do not
> wish to take three weeks to figure out how to add myself to the sudo list,
> so I used "su", and am now informed by apt-get that software can no longer
> be installed on my computer.

sudo is easy enough to configure.  Odds are your sudoers file has an example
line already listed in the comments.  Just copy the example to the first
blank line, replace the example user name with your username, save and quit
the editor, then give sudo a whirl.  If yours is missing the example, this
one should work:

username	ALL=(ALL) ALL
^^^^^^^^
Replace this with your actual username.

To edit your sudoers file, run visudo.  See the man pages visudo(1) and
sudoers(5) for more information.  If you haven't done so already on your
debian system, you might want to change the default editor first by
running...

update-alternatives --config editor

...before you run visudo.  Remember, sudo's not going to help your security
situation any if you have a weak password (or root and your password are the
same), or use it unnecessarily.

If you have a followup about sudo, please reply on
debian-user at lists.debian.org instead of here as sudo on Debian's more of a
topic for that list.

- --
Paul Johnson