[Wine] Re: opengl32.dll problem running WoW.exe after new graphics card

jetbadkey1 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 25 06:33:39 CDT 2008

> Is the opengl error still there as well? If so, you probably goofed up
> some GL/X libraries. I did this a couple weeks ago, and found that
> searching for X and GL libraries in synaptic and reinstalling them
> fixed the issue (though now my sound is messed up after upgrading to
> hardy, so go figure). I'm about to do a clean upgrade on that box, but
> it did fix the video issue for me. Not the cleanest way, but it did
> the trick.

I ended up doing a clean install on that box.  When I did the original installation I was thinking and did /home as a separate partition which made the re-installation smoother.
The clean install fixed the opengl error after I used Envy to install the drivers for the 8800GT.  Straight out of the clean install Ubuntu didn't even register the 8800GT.  I've now done clean installs with the 8800GT and 8800GTX with Ubuntu 7.10 and here are the steps I took to get them working (I know the 8 series is a pain for Ubuntu);

1. When the boot CD loads, highlight Graphic Safe Mode and press F6 for more options.

2. Delete 'quiet' and 'splash' and press Enter.

3. Install Ubuntu (I mount /home in a separate partition because it makes re-installation easier, but I tend to tinker and mess things up requiring frequent installs)

4. After the first reboot highlight the first Ubuntu boot option and press 'e'.

5. Highlight the second line, should look similar to;
Code:
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=... quiet splash ro

 and press 'e'.

6. Delete 'quiet' and 'splash' and press Enter.

7. When I did the 8800GTX Ubuntu recognized the card and all I had to do was allow the NVIDIA restricted driver manager.  When I did the 8800GT Ubuntu loaded the vesa drivers and didn't see the card.  I ran Envy http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html with the latest drivers (169.12) and that card worked.  Using Envy to install the drivers allows more control over the graphics card, but personally I haven't seen any performance differences between the drivers on my 8800GTX system.

8. I still have problems on both systems with the Ubuntu boot screen so I run;
Code:
gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

 in terminal and comment out the line;
Code:
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=... quiet splash ro

 copy that line, paste it below without quiet and splash;
Code:
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=... ro

9. Eliminating 'splash' stops the boot load screen.  I also take out 'quiet' because I can visually confirm that Ubuntu is loading.  This might not be the right way to get those card working but it's how I've done so.  World of Warcraft works so I'm content for now :D.