[Wine] CodeWeavers released CrossOver Games today!

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 25 15:23:43 CDT 2008

Hi Mark,

> Interesting and reasonably priced, but I'm not clear what's the
> difference from standard Wine or Transgaming's Cedega?
>
> Granted, I only scanned the immediate page and didn't do much study.

CrossOver is a polished and supported version of Wine.  As such,
it's core is very similar to that of Wine.  The primary difference
from Wine is that we test and insure that a given set of applications work well,
and then back that with our customer support.

Transgaming is based on an older version of Wine (although they
are increasingly bringing in parts of modern Wine as well), and also
includes some proprietary code.  I'm rather biased, but I think that
modern Wine has now surpassed the proprietary bits that Transgaming
has, and that, on balance, Wine (and therefore CrossOver) is the
better overall gaming platform.  With that said, there will be
quite a few cases where it works well in one place, but not the other,
and vice versa.