[Wine] Empty subject

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Mar 26 17:08:40 CDT 2008

On Wednesday March 26 2008 21:43:43 Austin English wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM, jnewman <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
wrote:
> >  >  There is nothing wrong with the forum. Subjects are not required for
> >  > replies. I don't see the issue here. I don't even see why this would
> >  > upset you.
> >  >
> >  >  If you are worried about the mailing list, mail2forum will put in the
> >  > subject of the thread automatically.
> >
> >  I've been considering suggesting disallowing editing
> >  the subject in the forum, since forum users seem
> >  to be editing or clearing it accidentally, leading
> >  to very confusing split threads on the mailing list.
> >
> >  My mail client is gmail, and it's usually pretty good about
> >  threading, but maybe that's an illusion, and all it
> >  does is match subject lines...
>
> I sent Jeremy a PM about this yesterday, he said he changed it to
> where edits can be made on the forum, but they are not sent to the ML.

	I don't think this is good idea. There is only two proper solutions:

1) Enable post editing by users and send edited posts to ML (recently this
was the case).
2) Disable post editing by users.

	Enabling editing without sending edited posts to ML is really bad idea
because all users on ML (and even some forum moderators who prefer ML) will
don't know about some changes made by forum users - this is very confusing.
Forum users who edit posts expect that everyone will see newest version of
their messages. So we either should choose solution #1 or #2. Personally I
prefer #2.

> (I think we should disable them entirely, else someone may edit post on the
forum, and ML won't see it).

	Yes, I agree.