[Wine] Re: Getting started

battlestarjesus wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 26 17:45:21 CDT 2008

I turned off the 3D effects.  Now when  I run winecfg I have a title bar.  There should be a way to have the 3d effects on and it not conflict with WINE.  I am using WINE version 0.9.44.  I have an Intel 939 video card in a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5002 laptop.

I am running winecfg because the documentation indicates that it is a useful configuration feature of WINE, I want to completely understand WINE, and learn to manipulate it in order to port every and any application.

I have a long way to go.  WINE seems rather complicated, but I am determined to do everything I can to avoid going back to Microsoft OS unless it either becomes open or radically impresses me.  I don't even want to work anywhere that uses Microsoft.  Many of my friends still use Microsoft because they are too overwhelmed by Linux.  They want to make the switch but it is too time consuming for them.  So I am doing it for them, and when I know enough and can ease the transition for them . . . well that is what I am here for, to learn so I can help others.

I have migrated from Ubuntu, to OpenSuse, to Studio64, to Fedora, and now to Mandriva.  I still know very little.  Until I can convert one of my friends who wants to make the switch I have learned and done nothing.  I am in search for a mentor who is willing to guide me through my questions so that I can one day be the mentor for someone else.  Where can I find a willing person to do such a thing?