[Wine] Re: Getting started

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 26 18:00:24 CDT 2008

battlestarjesus wrote:
> I turned off the 3D effects.  Now when  I run winecfg I have a title bar.  There should be a way to have the 3d effects on and it not conflict with WINE.

This most likely fixed in newer Wine and/or compiz versions. However don't use those effects, until everything else works for you - test one thing at a time not everything at once.

battlestarjesus wrote:
>  I am using WINE version 0.9.44.  I have an Intel 939 video card in a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5002 laptop.

This is really old version. Wine releases new versions each two weeks. With each version fixing lots of problems, implementing lots of things. Please upgrade (http://winehq.org/site/download) to the latest (wine-0.9.58) version, remove ~/.wine directory before continuing.
Also that video card is not really a best choice for all the 3D stuff. That also might be a reason for incompatibility between Wine and compiz.

battlestarjesus wrote:

> I am running winecfg because the documentation indicates that it is a useful configuration feature of WINE, I want to completely understand WINE, and learn to manipulate it in order to port every and any application.

Not everything can be done from winecfg. Also in most cases you do not need to change any configuration at all. Of course that doesn't prohibit you from using winecfg.

Understand Wine is a tall order no one yet archived. Even Alexandre does not understand entire Wine :D No offense, but take one problem, one program at a time. Don't try to do everything at once.

battlestarjesus wrote:

> I have a long way to go.  WINE seems rather complicated

Indeed. Not less so as what it tries to implement - windows.

battlestarjesus wrote:

> I am in search for a mentor who is willing to guide me through my questions so that I can one day be the mentor for someone else.  Where can I find a willing person to do such a thing?

No one will dedicate you their entire life. When you have a problem or a question - ask. This forum is a perfect place for this.