[Wine] Re: Bryce 5.5 once ran, before v0.9.56 (tested.)

dirkmitt wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Mar 27 14:22:56 CDT 2008

Instead of building a debug version of WINE for now, which would probably make me a part of your team, I just wanted to warn readers about a fact in Bryce under WINE. Maybe one day soon I will start debugging WINE with you, but right now this statement seems more important.

One should not think, that just because Bryce 5.5 works partially under WINE 0.9.55 ,  all of it works.

In the beginning, I found that starting up the part of Bryce 5.5 which is called the "DAZ Studio," would cause the whole virtual desktop to freeze. But more recently, I found that by overriding the library msvcirt.dll with its native, will stop that from happening, because this part of Bryce opens an interface to Poser, and Poser needs for msvcirt.dll to be overridden. And now I find that the DAZ Studio part will also load successfully.

Yet even now, the central panel of DAZ studio fails to redraw itself at times, leaving pieces of prior dialog boxes visible. This may be due to my LinuxBox not having its hardware-3D installed, which Poser tends to use.

Also, I can render stationary scenes with Bryce, but not animations, in spite of having installed a Codec pack. In fact, trying to create an animation with keyframes eventually causes the buggy GUI to display again, with parts of the virtual desktop blacked out. So my earlier theory may also be wrong, that this anomaly was just a GUI problem.

And it was in the hopes that this behaviour would improve, that I was upgrading WINE before. I'm still hopeful that the behaviour of these programs will improve.

Dirk