[Wine] Bryce 5.5 once ran, before v0.9.56 (tested.)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:03:28 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM, dirkmitt <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Why didn't you just say so?
>
>  You can get Bryce 5.5 for free by now, right here:
>
>  http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?tg=dl-20&qt=Bryce&tag=srch
>
>  Dirk

Hi Dirk,
   As James says this is helpful. I might try it out for kicks.
However since you are coming in from the forums let me respond with
one comment, not really directed toward you specifically but rather to
the general audience. I've used wine for a long time. Some apps work
*fairly* well, but no app in my experience works perfectly. Every app
I've ever tried throws messages and does a few things wrong. It's just
a statement of fact for me using Wine.

   Why do I write this? Because my experience having used wine for a
long time is that if an individual user wants an individual
application fixed then it sort of falls to that user to sheapard the
reports along over time and provide the inputs necessary for the
developers to do their work. As there are probably tens of thousands
of apps that do what Bryce is doing, in terms of working partially,
working and then being broken partially or completely, whatever, then
my experience is that the developers have a HUGE range of things they
can work on. They can choose what they want, what they think is most
important, what they have time for. It's up to them.

   If I'm driven enough to really want to use a specific app in Wine
and it's not working well enough for my needs then it's up to me to do
whatever I can to provide the info. If I don't provide the info then I
expect nothing much will happen with the request. Believe me, I've got
some bug reports in there from 5 years ago I'm sure that probably have
never been looked at and possibly never will.

  So, not specifically to you but rather to the forum users at large,
if you really want something fixed then providing more information and
not less is the path toward more timely results. It's really up to
you.

Just my 2 cents,
Mark